[IPp] What is Insulin Pumpers?

Pumpers and Friends,
    What is Insulin Pumpers? hmmm... the stock answer is from the site.....
History
Insulin Pumpers began operating this web site and support forum in September
of 1997. The list membership at that time was 12 and has since grown to 4673
individuals and families. Once upon a time, all administration and
maintenance was done by a single person, now it handled by a team of 44
volunteer writers, web developers, mail administrators, chat organizers, and
medical advisory board members in several languages in numerous countries
around the world. Insulin Pumpers continues to grow rapidly, with total
membership increasing by 50 to 100 net new members each month. This has
meant new resource requirements and expenses. At the present time, Insulin
Pumpers needs money to help pay rent, utilities, internet access charges and
other expenses that help support this site. Your contribution will help with
these expenses and help us to continue to bring the best possible support to
you and the other children and adults who must deal with diabetes on a day
to day basis every day of their lives.
    Since I have been around since day one maybe I can offer a more personal
view of what it mean to me and maybe you... it is a group of people from
around the world. Giving of themselves to help support this little man-made
thing called a insulin pump that keeps them alive another day until there is
a "CURE" by supporting a website. This website grew out of a need for
information and support of each other. Yes, there is other sites.. i.e.:
pump makers... diabetes groups..  but what set this site apart was it try's
to give a view of information in the "Real World of Insulin Pumping" ...
what works and what does not... IP does not try to sell the reader something
but the fact that if you need to take insulin that maybe using a insulin
pump is one of the best ways.
    The true is not everyone is ready or need a insulin pump. And that no
one type of insulin pump is right for everyone, you as a the user must
understand what it can and can not do for you. In the 24 years I have used a
insulin pump, I have tried and wore 21 models of pumps. They all worked and
did what I needed them to do... DELIVER INSULIN... all the new things pumps
can do today is just stuff that make it easy to manage things. If you learn
the skills to be a MASTER PUMPER you know all of it is just that STUFF.
There is nothing that any new pump does that I could not do back 24 years
ago. Yes, it would mean that I would need to WORK at my control and carry
things to do what the new pumps do but so be it. So when you look at getting
a new pump, take the time to learn about the STUFF on each model and maker.
You pick the one that is right for you.
    You ask yourself now do I become a Master Pumper or know that STUFF I
need. First ask for info from your Medical Team... Pump Makers... users of
pumps. And to find users look to Insulin Pumpers... to learn skills or how
too... check out IP. There is so much info on the websites... have you look
at the UK or Canada or Main sites?
    Why have I written this post? One just to share how much I think of IP
as a source of info about pumping insulin. Second because I was reading...
well trying to anyway some chat logs today, I knew there was a problem. The
main server is down and IP is running on it backup. When I talked with
Michael, I learned that it needs to be replaced. So if you can spare a few
coins this holiday season, or need another tax write-off can you make a
donation  http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml  to help pay for a new
server and cover the cost in time to do the upgrade?
    I'm sorry if you get more than one copy of this post but I sending it to
all my IP contacts.

     REMEMBER TO SMILE AND BE HAPPY

                       Rodney