[IPp] Unexpected and unexplained deaths among young Norwegian patients with diabetes mellitus

 I am way behind due to finals so I apologize if this has been posted already.
Read it in Jeff's "What's New" & thought it was interesting...

Rachel

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15586189

Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2004 Dec 2;124(23):3064-5.Related Articles, Links

 [Unexpected and unexplained deaths among young Norwegian patients with diabetes
mellitus]

[Article in Norwegian]

Ramsli HM, Therkelsen SP, Sovik O, Thordarson H.

Brattvag legekontor, 6270 Brattvag.

 BACKGROUND: We studied the occurrence of unexpected and unexplained deaths in
0-39 year-old subjects with diabetes. MATERIAL AND METHODS: Statistics Norway
provided information about persons who had died in the 1991-1995 period with a
diagnosis of diabetes on their death certificate. Relevant information was
obtained from autopsy reports and patients' physicians. RESULTS: 117 deaths from
all causes were ascertained. Four patients (3.4%) fulfilled the criteria of
"dead in bed" syndrome; three males and one female, age range 21-36 years,
duration of diabetes 5-23 years. Severe episodes of hypoglycaemia were reported
in three cases. Autopsy, performed in three cases, was negative. INTERPRETATION:
Dead in bed syndrome in young persons with diabetes is a rare, but dramatic
condition. The relationship to nocturnal hypoglycaemia remains hypothetical.

Rachel - email @ redacted
"Jesus is the reason for the season"