RE: [IPp] Saline Start

I completely agree with Catherine.  I didn't ask my
child if she wanted to take shots.  There was no
option.  Our job as parents is to do what is best for
our kids future and health.  I never ask my kids if
they want to take a bath, brush their teeth, eat their
vegetables, look both ways before crossing the street,
stay away from strangers...on and on...

The pump is the best thing for their health and
future.  There is no question or debate about doing
it.  I guarantee you I never asked my daughter if she
wanted to start a pump.  I took a few months (during
the approval period and insurance paperwork hassle) to
thoroughly explain what a pump was and what it meant
to her everyday schedule.  When we finalyy got it and
started the hook up procedure, she had reservations
and flat out said that she was not going to wear it.
We then talked about her fear and I told her she had
no option.  AFter a few days, she realized she could
eat when and what she wanted with absolutly NO shots!
At that point, she was in love!  Her pump is part of
her now.

I think the biggest hurdle for new pumping families is
not the child's fear but the parent's.  Starting a
pump is very unnerving.  Let you child know that you
are nervous and scared of the unknown.  But there is
one point to get across:  Pumping offers the most
incredible life for diabetics.

Good luck!
Cheryl