From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Doug Kealey
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 10:26 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] Saline Start

 I have to say that I disagree with the comment that a saline start is a
waste of time for an 8 year old. My daughter is 8 and we just started on
the pump in September. We, too, did a saline start. There were several
helpful aspects:

 1. Even though we had the pump in our possession for two months, having
my daughter wear the pump and enter all blood sugar information into the
pump and also bolusing whever appropriate helped her and I learn to
manipulate the pump much better than we had been able to prior to the
saline start. This experience gave both of us quite a bit more
confidence in our ability to utilize the pump prior to the actual pump
start. This confidence was invaluable.

 2. During the saline start, we were put on a rigid meal plan that was
based on my daughter's normal eating habits. Since we were entering all
blood sugar information into the pump - and bolusing (correction and
otherwise) with saline as well - CDE/pump trainer - was able to down
load this information (both blood sugar and insulin usage) and use it to
help set basal and insulin to carb ratios. I think this information
helped give Jennifer a very smooth pump start.

 3. I think there is a 3rd reason the saline start is important. When
kids pump
- they enter all snacks...even a 2 gram snack...into the pump. That is a
big difference from having several 15 gram freebie snacks on lantus. The
saline start helped get Jennifer used to entering the grams into the
pump prior to eating a meal or snack. I have read that one of the
reasons some children have higher a1c readings post pumping is that they
periodically forget to bolus for a snack or meal. I believe the saline
start helped get us into the routine of bolusing even for snacks.

This is just my opinion - so take it for what it's worth.

 Also, Jennifer never once complained about the saline stinging. She
has, however, said that the insulin stings when the bolus is too big. We
have adjusted her bolus time to help alleviate this. Would adjusting the
bolus time help reduce any feeling of stinging someone may experience
with saline?

Beth Kealey
 Mother to Jennifer (8 yr old) - diagnosed 12/16/03. Pumping Cosmo since
9/13/03.

My opinion is that a saline trial for an 8yo is a waste of time. There
is
no positive feedback for the work involved and saline "stings".