Re: [IPp] "Unproven Research"

In a message dated 12/1/2004 8:05:34 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

And  should a cure be found, which is highly unlikely with these cells, the
demand would increase and those "leftovers" would not be enough...where
would
they come from then?  Not to mention, not all of the embryonic  stem cells
come
from the leftovers, they also come from aborted  babies...
I personally don't want a cure this  way.
Julie

I'm not going to reply to any more of these posts on the list, but feel it
is important to correct two misstatements in your response.  One: The
"leftovers" certainly would be enough, since embryonic stem cells can keep
 duplicating themselves and making more versions of themselves. (In addition,
the more
science learns about these cells the more likely that they  will be able to
 duplicate them via genetic engineering). Two: The "aborted babies" line is the
latest in a long string of lies about stem cell  research.  The embryo needs
to be at the stage of about 150 cells, only a  few days after fertilization.
 An "aborted baby" would not be at this stage. Both of these facts were stated
in my post, you just chose to  ignore them.

Mary