From: Mathis, Diane
To: Insel, Richard
Sent: 11/11/04 10:04
Subject: yes, i sent it there

November 10, 2004

Dear Editor,

 We are disappointed that the New York Times chose to publish an article that
did not present both sides of a scientific debate. We refer to the article "I
Beg to Differ: A Diabetes Researcher Forges Her Own Path to a Cure" published on
Nov. 9, 2004. This piece claims that Dr. Denise
 Faustman of Massachusetts General Hospital has, revolutionarily, cured mice of
type-1 diabetes and insinuates that, were it not for the jealousy of scientific
colleagues and the conflict-of-interest of funding agencies, would be testing
her proven method in human diabetes patients. We would like to refute some of
the more glaring of the many incorrect statements underlying these claims:

  The Nov. 9 article opens with the eye-catching remark that Dr. Faustman is the
only scientist to have cured diabetes in mice. This statement is patently false.
Multiple scientific groups have cured diabetes in mice by multiple means. In
fact, two of the most promising clinical trials currently being conducted on
type-1 diabetes patients are based on a report published in the Proceedings of
the National Academy of Sciences in 1994 that injection of a particular antibody
into mice cures them of their diabetes.

 It is disappointing that the article quotes one of Dr. Faustman's close
colleagues that "most of the things" she has found "turned out to be true". A
better source may have been the public record, which shows that two of Dr.
Faustman's most visible scientific contributions, a report in Science in 1991
and another in Molecular and Cellular Biology in 1999, were soon followed by
letters-to-the-editor from highly respected research groups at multiple
universities around the country attesting that these findings were not
repeatable and/or were being misinterpreted.

  But it is perhaps most important to correct the misconception that the
curative procedure Dr Faustman has used in mice is ready for translation to
humans. This procedure entails injecting two major ingredients into recently
diabetic mice. The first is a drug similar to one called BCG that is a common
component of vaccines, such as the vaccine against TB. The second is an enormous
quantity of spleen cells - the equivalent in humans would be the injection of
cells from 5 human spleens over a period of 4 years. This procedure simply can't
be done in humans. In recognition of this fact, Dr. Faustman and colleagues have
approval only to test the effect of BCG alone on diabetes, but it is not known
to what extent this drug alone reproduces the previously described effects in
mice. We suggest that the article should have reported that the clinical effects
of BCG on type-1 diabetes have already been evaluated in humans in several other
contexts. In one published study, injection!
  of this drug into diabetic adults had no effect on their progression to
disease. In two other studies, it has been found that children at risk of
developing type-1 diabetes actually developed overt disease more rapidly when
they had been vaccinated with BCG. Clearly, doctors must be prudent in
administering this drug to patients.

  Lastly, a comment on the insinuations in the article that translation of Dr.
Faustman's mouse work to the cure of human diabetes is being held up by the
petty jealousies or inconsequential bickering of scientific colleagues, and by
the conflict-of-interest of pharmaceutical companies and funding agencies.
Although such a "black-sheep" strategy can be an effective one, a quick glance
at the facts should serve to show how inappropriate it is. The National
Institutes of Health and, through the generosity of many individual donors,
private organizations such as the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation are
currently devoting hundreds of millions of dollars to research on type-1
diabetes. Large fractions of their funds have been set aside for human clinical
trials, and there is active promotion to move promising preventative and
curative strategies from mice to humans, from the bench to the bedside, as
quickly as possible. As a direct result, there are currently some quite p!
  romising leads under active investigation. However, to protect patients from
useless or even harmful interventions, any proposed clinical trial must pass
scientific (and sometimes lay) review before being funded. It would have
balanced the article to report that Dr. Faustman's work has not so far been able
to pass the objective reviews of the agencies she has applied to. And to report
that she has never even applied to the largest government agency that funds
clinical trials on individuals with, or at risk of, type-1 diabetes (TrialNet).
  We offer our most heartfelt apologies, on behalf of Dr. Faustman, to the
individuals with type-1 diabetes, and their families, for having their
expectations cruelly raised by the Nov 9th article. We sincerely hope that your
readers will not lose their confidence in scientists and in the scientific
process. Rest assured that we are aware of the critical need for a cure and are
painfully cognizant of our inability to produce one so far. But also be assured
that we are doing our utmost to find one as soon as we possibly can, and that
there are other avenues that truly do offer hope.

Sincerely,

Diane Mathis, Ph. D. and Christophe Benoist, M. D., Ph. D.
Heads, Section on Immunology and Immunogenetics, Joslin Diabetes Center;
Professors of Medicine, Harvard Medical School