RE: [IPp] hard living with diabetes

I let my 8 year old daughter help with Emma's care.  Instead of feeling put out
by the diabetes, she feels like she's a necessary member of Emma's diabetes
team.  If I'm getting dinner ready, I'll ask Madeline if she'd like to check
Em's blood sugar for me.  She'll even do a correction or a food bolus if I ask
 her. She used to give Emma her shots with the Inject-Eze when we were traveling
in the car on trips so I didn't have to stop.  She's a whiz at counting carbs
now, and she feels ages older than her friends because of all her added
responsibilities.  I am careful though not to make her feel like she HAS to
help.  I ask once, and if she ignores me or says no, I'll just shrug and do it
myself.  No big deal.

I also do "just us" days with each of the kids to mitigate all the "just us"
time Emma gets.  (Emma even enjoys the days she goes to the hospital for her
Endo appointments.  We chat for an hour and a half in the car and then "do
lunch" at the cafeteria.)  Madeline and I are scheduled for a spa day with one
 of my girlfriends as a reward for being such an amazing kid. I think it's nice.

Maybe you could find a pen pal for your daughter.  Another non-d kid to gripe
with about those annoying siblings with diabetes!  I was surprised there are so
few sibling support groups.  I think our non-d kids need a chance to vent and
know that other non-d siblings get irritated too.

Just my .02.

Catherine
Mom to Madeline 9, Austin 7, Emma 4 dx 10/9/02 - pumping Cozmo 9/22/03, Abigail
3, Genevieve & Gracie 1