Re: [IPp] hard living with diabetes

No, I have to happily say, I haven't had your problem.  My son is grown
and married,
and my daughter - now 11 - was diagnosed at 17 months.  I never had to
balance the attention
demanded for the diabetes child with the other kids.  However, I grew up
with 3 other sisters,
and many times felt left out - other sisters more "special" than I for 1
reason or another.  It is so
hard.  All I can say is she is 11 and going on 16 - so NOW is the time
to truly bond with her,
not later.  Rachel and I are close right now - but I dread the days when
she resents my insistant
attention (test, did you bolus, how much did you eat?????????)  I can
say though, that sometimes
talking to another who actually has to go through it - especially one
her own age - may help her
realize that it's not easy - and that she really doesn't want the "extra
I feel bad, cause Robin's 11 year old daughter is wanting a pen pal with
someone going through
the same things as her - and our daughters are the same age - so it
would be perfect- but, it seems
that every night we just don't get around to taking the time to go get
on the computer and say hi...
Life is too short, and I've promised that over the holidays, we are
going to do that!
(Robin, I know you're reading this, so that's why I sent it to you too!)
Anyway, if ever your daughter would want to write or exchange emails,
just let us know.
Honestly, I think after some time, she will think she's the lucky one.
Diabetes is tough - and so is celiac - but I'd rather be battling those
2 diseases - than cancer...
Hang in there.
Merry Christmas
Cathy in Kansas, Mom to Rachel 11, dx diabetes 9/93, celiac 1/02,
pumping 10/02