re: [IPp] Low Blood Sugars

Hi Sarah,

For whatever reason, your son is getting too much insulin for what he
needs.  Either he is over-bolusing (either for food or for
corrections), or his basals are too high, or (grrr) the pump could be
malfunctioning.  Actually, given how many persistent lows you seem to
be having in a short period of time, I would call your pump company to
find out if there is a way for you to check whether your pump is
over-delivering.  (Or - is it possible that someone accidentally
reprogrammed the pump to give higher basals, say?)

Sickness usually causes high blood sugars, not lows.

Keep in mind that a too-high bolus could have effects for hours beyond
the 2-3 hours that are the "peak" of insulin levels in the blood
post-dose.  (That's the graph that is on the package insert for your
insulin.)  Insulin is easy to measure in the blood, but insulin is in
the blood only as a means to get it out to the body's cells.  And once
it gets out to the body's cells, it seems to hang around there for
several hours.  Unfortunately, it's harder to measure at that point
(which is why we have the 2-3-hour figure burned into our minds for the
duration of a Humalog bolus.)

I hope you figure this out quickly!  Best wishes!

- Maria
pumpmama to Sigrid, 2 yo, dx'd @ 11 mos., pumping since 17mos.