[IPp] re: low low basal rates

snip:: Yet another question from the beginner pump parent.  Do those of you
with little ones use low, low basal rates.  I know the theory is that basals
should be 40 - 60% of TDD. ::

My son isn't quite as little as he used to be, he's in 3rd grade now but he
started pumping in kindergarten.  We've always had trouble getting his basals
up into that 40-60% range, because so much of his diet is CARB!   His pedi.
endo. stayed on that for about a year, but since then has not bothered us about
it because his HbA1C's range from 6.5-7.5, and she's pretty happy with that
(especially when it's below 7).  I think that ratio would work great for
someone who had a more "adult" diet.  The highest Luke's has ever gotten is
about 50%, and during a growth spurt only.  Despite being 70 lbs, he's still
using less than 30 units a day; when he started pumping he was using about 20
units a day and we diluted for the first year.

Best of luck!
Shelly V, mom to Luke, 9, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 - MM508 + Sils + Novolog

Do you Yahoo!?