Re: [IPp] Young pumpers with very low basal rates

Pumping Insulin is very helpful, although noticeable shy of info on small
children pumping.  We have read lots of Pumping Insulin - including the
whole chapters on setting basals, carb factors and correction factors and
the chapter on kids.  It was in Pumping Insulin that I first read about
the 40-60% rule.  Our basals are set based on carb free times or times of
fasting, so we feel pretty comfortable.  I just expect to receive some
grief about it from our endo team since her basal is only around 14% of
her TDD.  With her basals low, each gram will raise her 10 -14 BG points.
 If you do not count carbs very precisely, you could see terrific highs
or lows...  We'll see what our endo team's reaction is - we see them in a
couple of weeks.  Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised and they will
say, if that's what works, then that is what's right!  Our endo team
seems to be getting used to the fact that we don't seem to conform well
to the norm.  Ah well.  I just wanted to understand the reasoning for
pushing a certain ratio.
Thanks for your advice,

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:33:25 -0800 "Michael" <email @ redacted>