Re: [IPp] Young pumpers with very low basal rates

> Hello parents,
> Yet another question from the beginner pump parent.  Do those of you
> with little ones use low, low basal rates.  I know the theory is
> that basals should be 40 - 60% of TDD.  Why should it be that way?
> My daughter currently has about 10-17% of her TDD as basal (partly
> because she has eaten so much with her new freedom).  Her basal rate
> is 0.15 u/hr in U25 volume, which is 0.0375 u/hr on U100.  (It was
> 0.20 u/hr, but she dropped from 205 to 94 over 4 hours without
> insulin and with a sneak taste of ice cream!)
> Some suggest shooting for basals at 40-60%.  Why?  If I push her
> basals up, she is back to eating more set amounts at more set times
> than we want.  If I turn her basal up, she will drop low 4-6 hours
> after eating if she does not eat again.

You should never arbitrarily set basal rates. There is no
"appropiate" ratio, level, etc.... There is a definitive procedure
for testing and adjusting basal rates which while non-trivial to
accoumplish (particularly with toddlers), is very effective in
setting the correct levels. You medical team should, if they are well
trained, assist you with this procedure.

I recommend you read the chapter in Pumping Inulin about setting
basals, and read the HOWTO's on the Insulin Pumpers pages