Re: [IPp] RE: Advice for 3 year old

My son was 15 months old at diagnosis.  He's now 16 years old.

Any idea what prompted this?  Did a sibling or a child on a playground or
friend make a comment that was nasty about the pump?  Or was your child just
 plain sick of having a site change etc. It would be great to really understand
what he hates about the pump per se.  Sometimes it has nothing to do with what
we think is the cause.  He may have convinced himself if he took off his pump,
he wouldn't have diabetes anymore.

I  feel everyone with diabetes, no matter how young or old, has to feel they
have choices.  So I am not one who prescribes to kids have no choice yada yada
yada.  Even if it's colors of lancets etc., finger or arm to check bg,
 different meter.... They also have to know their feelings are important and
no matter how young they are and that when possible we will work with them to
keep them healthy in a way that makes them more comfortable.  It's not giving
in to them, it's respecting them.

Praise praise praise for all the good they do.  It makes everyone feel
better.  So you can praise him for expressing how he feels and helping you
understand etc.

I would offer the pump vacation (loved the pump time-out idea from the little
girl).  A pump on someone who resents it is dangerous.  A child can remove a
site and put him or herself into DKA very quickly.  Children are smart.   I
 also would NOT make the pump vacation miserable. I think our kids have to know
that there are different ways to get insulin and do it right.  I wouldn't
 personally want the NPH or any peaking long acting insulin in the body so I'd
to work with the doctor to have the basal insulin of Lantus - if it works
well in your child, and then the fast acting for all meals and snacks.

Keep us posted Gina.  You are not alone and we all care very deeply.

Love, Ellen