RE: [IPp] RE: Advice for 3 year old

My daughter Emma is 4.  She was getting up to 10 shots a day on MDI because she
grazed.  She didn't care one way or the other how many shots she got.  (With 6
kids, the "eat this much at this time" thing was not an option.)  Occasionally,
she'll mention that she doesn't want me to mess with her pump to bolus.  She'll
start to pitch a fit, doesn't want to stand still, and I say (threaten), " We
could just go back to shots.  Is that what you want?"  Invariably she'll say
yes.  "I LIKE shots," she says.

Well, you know what?  Shots may be good for her, but they're not for me.  I
 can't calibrate a dose with a syringe the way I can with the pump. I don't like
giving so many shots.  I hate poking my kid all the time.  So, shots are an
option for Emma once she's old enough to give them to herself.  For now, I'm
sorry, we're going to do this.

She doesn't seem to mind carrying the pump around, or getting a new site
inserted, or dealing with tubing.  She just minds having to stand still for 30
seconds while I bolus.  She hates glucose checks for the same reason, but we're
 certainly not giving up those!! So, YOU need to make the decision regarding the
pump as to what is best for your child.  You can't let a 3 year old call the
shots ;) regarding basic diabetes care.  Distract your child with other
"choices", like where to get the next poke for a glucose check, or what kind of
 pump case to wear today (we have lots to choose from), or even juice or tabs
a low.  But insulin delivery?  I still think that's your call.

Mom to Madeline 9, Austin 7, Emma 4 dx 10/9/02 - pumping Cozmo 9/22/03, Abigail
3, Genevieve & Gracie 1