Re: [IPp] RE: Advice for 3 year old

Everyone is probably sick of hearing from me, but I wanted to respond to
Debbie's email.  We have struggled with similar issues with our
daughters.  At the end of the day, I have come to the conclusion that we
must provide our children choices and then enforce the consequences.

I mostly agree with Debbie.  I think we must be firm with our kids and we
should expect them to do all possible to maintain their health.  I think,
however, that there ARE choices in treatment methods with diabetes,
unlike some other illnesses.  MDI is an acceptable way to manage diabetes
if a person chooses that route.  Our daughter had great HbAlcs on her
shots.  We followed her meal plan and schedule EXACTLY (which was cause
for friction with our daughter).  We chose a pump for lifestyle issues
and we hoped it might make managing diabetes easier when she got to those
fun teenage years.  But if Andrea chooses another way, I think that is
okay.  As long as she maintains the best control she can and takes
responsibility for the choice, I think that should be sufficient.

Obviously a young child is not going to be fully responsible for
maintaining control, but I think they should still get some choices.  If
one chooses shots, one chooses to eat at a certain time and to only eat a
certain amount or to have extra shots.  That is where I would say you
can't give.  That is where I think you need to be firm with your kids.
If a child chooses to go back to MDI, you must enforce strictly the

I am glad someone believes in being a firm parent.  I believe that
myself.  I just think that diabetes is hard enough on kids and that we
should let them have some say in their treatment.  Once they make that
choice, the consequences of that choice follow and must be upheld.

I think a parent has to choose carefully his/her battles.  I agree with
Debbie that we can't let children rule the roost, but children also need
the opportunity to make choices so they can experience the consequences
and learn to choose well.  I agree with other parents that a pump
vacation will give Justin the chance to see the difference between MDI
and pump therapy.  He will most likely choose his pump!

Good luck, Gina.  Thanks, Debbie, for very good food for thought.

-Natalie Rodgers
Mom to Andrea 4 (dx 1/28/03, pumping Cozmo 10/2/03),
             Alicia 2, and Carlos 6 months
Married to Tom for over 7 fabulous years
Salt Lake City, UT

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!