[IPp] Top 5 Insulin Pump

Pumpers and Friends,
    There has been a lot of e-mail about "Best or Top Pump" .... since I'm
one of the few member who has use/worn most of the insulin pumps sold in the
USA over the last 23yrs.... only missed two of them... Millhill and  BD
pumps... Hope to try the Animas IR1200 soon... so... let me talk about what
I think is the "Best or Top Pump"

1. It delivers insulin at a rate"shot" better than I can take in a insulin

2. It can give me a small or large dose of insulin over 24/7

3. It can give me a rate"shot" at the time I NEED IT as I need a lot more
insulin at 3:30 am ... I CAN NOT do it when I had to take the devil
insulin... NPH ... or when last year I tried lantus ... the need for 500%
more insulin for 4 1/2 hours ... can't do it on a insulin shot

4. Can get battery at most stores

5. Has Alarms: low battery... pressure... programming ... malfunction....
they work to tell me when there is a problem with my pump

bonus 6. it tell time so no more watches for me.

1. It is NOT a closed looped system... so I don't need to do blood sugars 14
to 24 times a day

2. The Nerd in me wants to program it...  can't override certain features

3. Will not let me forget that I have diabetes... as it forces me to take
charge of my care...... wait this maybe a Pros thing

4. Not available in different colors... I still want a Husker's RED pump

1. What it is: a tool to keep me alive until there is a CURE.

2. It is one of the best ways to deliver insulin... not as good as the way I
was born with but getting better daily, I could not get anywhere closes as
this on a shot.

3. All insulin pumps made do the same thing deliver INSULIN... some do it
with less buttons to push.

4. IT is dumb... even when it has a meter build in it still CAN NOT control
my blood sugar as well as when I was born and all my parts worked right.

5. What is the best PUMP the one you were  born with.... until there is a
CURE ... you must pick one that does the things you need it to... write down
what you need in specification.....

        a. waterproof                         no
        b. backlight                            no
        c. vibrate                                no
        d. calculation of carb bolus   NO I was train how to do this.. and
still can do it better than any program
        e. remote control                    no
        f.  upgradeable software        no
        g. cartridge filling adapter       No... I was train on how to do
this to minimizes bubbles
        h. prefilled cartridge.syrg        no
        i. remember rates, alarms, blood sugar.... NO NO NO.... I was train
to write things down...
        k. small size                            no as long as it works.

        Do you need all the bells.... NO ...can they help you do the things
you need YES.. donot let a sales person tell you... you got to have this
pump as it is the BEST... because it is not, NO pump made is the BEST... I
WANT A CURE you need to pick the pump that has the tools best for you... not
what I tell you... your doctor... cde... pump rep.. ask what do I need my
pump to do... from all of these people... when you pick the one that does
the things you need.

6. Get the best training you can... make your doctor...CDE... Nurse... Pump
Trainer.. Pump  Maker .. Insurance company ... give you the tools you need
to have the BEST Control that you can.  Many years ago I had a problem with
a set... I call... when and saw everyone of the people that had anything to
do with my pump... I was their biggest pain in the Bu** until they came up
with a fix.

7. You are the person in control, so learn everything you can ... record
.... record... be a MASTER PUMPER!!!

                                                REMEMBER TO SMILE AND BE

ps: if you would like to know what pump I was writing about drop me a note.