Re: [IPp] re: Dual/Square Wave on MM pumps (was MM party)

In a message dated 12/23/2002 10:51:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Marie,
>
> How do you figure the carbs for Chinese.

I have no "real" science for this!  I mean there are tons of sites like <A HREF="www.calorieking.com">
www.calorieking.com</A> that have the carb amounts.  I have just noted that for
Nikko, he doesn't seem to need to dual/square that most people do for this.
It's one of those odd, quirky, indiviual things.  He will literally eat three
bowls of rice, and be completely fine number-wise for the resto of the night
with no extended bolus.  Go figure!??!

I wasn't bringing this up to say that people shouldn't use this feature with
chinese food, but just that it's an odd thing I noted with *my* kid.  Because
we tried dual-waving this because of the high fat content.  But noticed that
he was high.  I think one time we just forgot to dual wave it, and when we
checked later, he was completely on target, and it was an "a-ha" moment.
We're now keeping an informal list of the foods that for *him* don't have the
usual reaction (that will send him high or low, but for *most* others will
not) and vice-versa.

We've learned that graham crackers before bed aren's a good choice.  Though
they aren't all that high in carb, they are high on the glycemic index (which
we never really paid much attention to before now, but it's helping to
explain some of the "oddities" we are catching).

Warmly,

Marie  :)
Mom to Nikkolas (Nikko) 7/98
Dx'd 3/01