Re: [IPp] Re: Celiac

> > I have not
> > seen much chatter about celiac disease on this list. I don't know if
there
> > are not a lot of other diabetic with this other auto immune problem out
> > there? Are other parents of diabetic children getting their children
> > screened for this? The current statitics say that about 20% of all type
1's

> > also have celiac disease whether they are "symptomatic" or not.
>
> Hi,
>        I had Claire screened for celiac, it was my request in November
2000.
> It was negative.  Do you think I need to have this re-done and if so, how
> often?  On an annual basis?  Do the doctors go along with this sort of
> request?  I thought that I wouldn't have it redone, unless I suspected
some
> symptoms, but your comment alters my view about this.  I know that Claire
has
> some allergies, I don't know what they are.  But she has an elevated IgE
> (doctor did this blood test at my request when Claire was having blood
taken
> when she was in hospital for DKA), which indicates allergies, and she also
> has rash type bumps all over her legs.
>
> Thanks for anyone's comments on this.
>
> Barbara, Mum of Claire 8

Barbara,

Just my opinion, but I don't think it's necessary to have her screened
annually, perhaps every 3-5 years, especially if there is no family history
of Celiac.  20% really isn't very many.  Have you done the scratch tests to
see what she might be allergic to?    Could the rash on her legs be
chiggers?  When we lived in Tennessee my son got them on his legs.

Carol