[IPp] Re: Celiac

In a message dated 12/22/2002 6:28:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I have not
> seen much chatter about celiac disease on this list. I don't know if there
> are not a lot of other diabetic with this other auto immune problem out
> there? Are other parents of diabetic children getting their children
> screened for this? The current statitics say that about 20% of all type 1's
> also have celiac disease whether they are "symptomatic" or not.

       I had Claire screened for celiac, it was my request in November 2000.
It was negative.  Do you think I need to have this re-done and if so, how
often?  On an annual basis?  Do the doctors go along with this sort of
request?  I thought that I wouldn't have it redone, unless I suspected some
symptoms, but your comment alters my view about this.  I know that Claire has
some allergies, I don't know what they are.  But she has an elevated IgE
(doctor did this blood test at my request when Claire was having blood taken
when she was in hospital for DKA), which indicates allergies, and she also
has rash type bumps all over her legs.

Thanks for anyone's comments on this.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8