FW: [IPp] Marc Boulanger <email @ redacted>

-----Original Message-----
From: Leanne Dalton [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: December 20, 2002 10:32 AM
To: 'email @ redacted'
Subject: RE: [IPp] Marc Boulanger <email @ redacted>

Hi Marc!

I'm very impressed with your initiative and sense of responsibility for
your own good health.  I think that's a good sign that pumping will be a
good step for you!

My son is 3 years old and has been diabetic for a little over a year.
We are starting to pump in 2 weeks, so I can't tell you (yet!) if I
think our pump choice was the right one or not (we've decided to go with
the Animas pump).  We live in Vancouver, so if you did want to go with
an Animas pump, you would be working with the same sales rep as we are.
He's very nice and I'm sure he would be thrilled to provide you with any
information you and your parents would need -- as will ANY of the pump
reps for Western Canada, I'm sure.

But, what I wanted to say was, are you aware of the internet page where
you can see the features comparison of all the insulin pumps that are
available?  You can find it at
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models.html.
I found that page extremely helpful when I was making a decision about
the pump to choose for my son.

To start making your own decisions, make a list (yes, actually write it
down -- it helps) of the pump "features" that are important to you.  One
of the ways to do that is to think about your current diabetes
management regimen and ask some questions to yourself about how you
might be using the pump and what's important for you to be able to do
with it.  Understanding that I have a very young son with an extremely
small daily dose of insulin (and therefore not the same as your
situation), some of the questions on my list when I was making a choice
for my son were:  What is Oliver's average basal rate likely to be and
can the pump efficiently handle that small a dose? What about bolus
size?  How are very small doses of insulin delivered by the pump?  Is a
waterproof pump important to me?  Does it matter how much insulin the
reservoir holds (i.e. will the reservoir hold enough insulin to last the
3 days between site changes?) Are the safety features on the pump
appropriate for a small child (child lock features, etc.)?

As you start making a list of questions, you might want to think about
relative importance of the questions.  For example, for me I decided
that I simply would not consider a pump that didn't do basal doses of
0.05 units.  This would probably not even be an issue for you, because I
suspect you use more than 10 units of insulin a day!  So, you see,
everyone is going to be different!

The important thing to remember is that there AREN'T any BAD insulin
pumps out there.  Any one of the pumps on the market will do a fine job
for you and each and every one has a big group of supporters/users out
there who will help you out with any questions you may have.  So, don't
sweat the process of making the choice.  Have some fun with it, get
whatever help you need and know that you can't really "screw up" and
pick the wrong one.

Good luck Marc, and feel free to email me privately if you have any
specific questions.

Leanne Dalton
email @ redacted
Mom of Oliver, born 6/99, dx'd 10/01