[IPp] Re: Marc Boulanger <email @ redacted>

In a message dated 12/20/2002 5:38:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> am 12 years old. I have been diabetic for 3 years and I want to get a
> pump. Which one would be the best?
> I live in Canada in Alberta. My dad is a farmer and my mom is a nurse. I
> have 1 brother and 2 sisters, I am the youngest of the family. I am the
> only one with diabetes. We do not have coverage for the pump so we want to
> make sure we get the right one for me. I am very active in sport and I
> don't mind poking my fingers for blood checks

Hi Marc,
       We live in Kelowna BC and my little girl is 8 (diabetes almost 6
years).  She uses the Disetronic H-tron pump.  We selected the H-tron because
it was a 2 pump system and we are not close to any sales reps.  I think that
it is important to have a back-up pump to use in case of mechanical failure,
especially if you do not live in a major city.   Some people have had lots of
problems with certain pumps, as they are sophisticated bits of electronics.
       We just love the H-tron, and it is very tough and reliable.  It has
been dropped on ceramic tile floors and this doesn't hurt it.  It does not
have some of the fancier features that newer pump models have, though, and is
no longer considered waterproof.
       The pump sales reps will bring the pumps out to your home to show you
them.  Take your time making your decision and read lots of stuff on Insulin
Pumpers for information.  Then write privately to people and ask about their
pump experiences--we will all share with you.

Best wishes,
Barbara, Mum of Claire 8