[IPp] Fwd: Seizing

This is the response I just sent to Sybil in case anyone else was curious.
From: email @ redacted
Full-name: FentonPumper
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:43:03 EST
Subject: Re: Seizing
To: email @ redacted

Gosh, sounds like you have your hands full with two on the pump!    We've
been lucky so far and our other three are Diabetes free.   Actually the older
two were tested 6 1/2 years ago in a research study and it said they had a
99.999999 chance of not developing Type 1 Diabetes.     Our little one was
a baby at that time and they wouldn't test her.    Hopefully she'll stay
D free.

Zachary has suffered from seizures since about 6 months after he was
diagnosed when he turned 3.    Luckily for me I knew what they looked
like as my husband has controlled epilepsy and takes meds,  but has a
seizure about every 1-2 yrs from forgetting to take his meds.    When Zachary

was little he'd bring them on from not eating his meal after we'd already
given him his injection.     We started carrying Glucagon about two months
after diagnosis after I read about it in a book.

When he was 4 he had such a bad seizure that he seized two times in a
row and slipped in unconciousness for 45 minutes.    During that time
the paramedics came and transported him to the children's hospital.
By the time we got there he had had like 6 injections of the stuff!  Two from
me and the rest from them.

When he was about 9,  the seizure slowed down to about 1 per 6-9 months
and then even further apart until last February when we went on the pump.
Since February he has had 8 seizures.

Zachary has always been the type to function when he was low.   He'd
scare nurses by walking into their office and getting readings of 30 or
below.     Even they got to know just from looking at him that he was
REALLY LOW!!!    He is fair skinned with freckles and when he is low
his skin gets pasty white and his freckles disappear!!!

That was the first symptom I saw when I walked into the bedroom the other
morning.    Then as I walked over to wake him,  and get his meter set up, he
responded but his movements were really "robotic".    After about 20 seconds
I knew to forget the meter because he was going to start seizing. I got him
onto his side just as the seizure started.   Luckily it was a short one,
30 seconds.     I've seen longer ones that lasted 1-2 minutes.     The second
he was still I headed for the glucagon.   Injected it and then checked him
blood sugar.   He was 57 at that point,  but seizure release a hormone and
cause a rise in blood sugars so he was probably down way below 30 at
the time of the seizure.     The lowest reading I've gotten so far has been

Hope this answers your questions.

Fenton, MO

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Rainbow.jpg]