[IPp] Re:hospital-ketons

In a message dated 12/1/2002 2:06:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> The other question is Eve is having persistence trace ketones, how came we
> get ride of them?

My understanding is that the level of ketones one produces is individual and
thus different levels are "normal" for different people.  Thus, they usually
tell you not to worry about trace levels.

Also, are these trace levels showing from using the urine ketostix?  If so,
it was the same after Claire was in DKA--afterwards trace urine ketones were
still showing up, long after the Precision Xtra meter showed 0.0 ketones.

I did find out lots of useful information regarding ketones, DKA, and the
Xtra meter.  I just haven't had time to write it up in a coherent fashion for
this list.

But a short summary is that you don't need to pay attention to urine ketones
as measured on the stix during and after DKA.  The Beta-hydroxybutyrate
ketone which is measured by the Precision Xtra is what is important to track.

I do hope that Eve is feeling better now.  I remember well all of her
troubles that you've posted about over the years.  The other day at a
doctor's office I picked up a pamplet, aimed at moms of children with medical
problems, where the mom could go and be "princess for a day".  A day of
pampering and relaxation and lots of chocolate for the moms.  Very
inexpensively priced, sponsored by the hospital and other organizations.  I
think most of us could use that!!!

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8