[IPp] Type 1 Diabetics May Gain Disease Control Through Transdermal Insulin Patch

 Dare I dream of this? I only hope they fine tune it to work as well as we all
hope. Then, if we could just get a home/personal CGMS monitor then we'd be a lot
better off before that cure comes...

Type 1 Diabetics May Gain Disease Control Through Transdermal Insulin Patch
By Ed Susman

 PARIS, FRANCE -- Aug. 27, 2003 -- An investigative insulin patch, held in place
with bands, appears to help patients achieve diabetes control, researchers
reported Tuesday in a poster presentation here at the 18th International
Diabetes Foundation Congress.

 "Our findings suggest that the transfer of monomeric insulin molecules through
the intact human skin for potential therapeutic use is possible," said Ines
Baotic, MD, physician/scientist, Vuk Vrhovac Institute, University Clinic for
Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, University of Zagreb, Croatia.

 Dr. Baotic and colleagues recruited 43 patients with Type 1 diabetes for the
study, which was undertaken with the support of TransDermics Ltd., Ashdod,

 "The transdermal route of insulin delivery has been a very challenging option
due to its lack of proteolytic enzymes," said Dr. Baotic. Although successful in
animal models, use of the transdermal route in humans has been frustrated by the
size of the insulin molecule. The new formulation of genetically engineered
human monocomponent insulin with a microemulsion vehicle, however, appears to
work in getting through the human skin.

 In this crossover study, patients wore the patch for eight hours. The testing
took place in a hospital setting so the patients could be carefully monitored
over three days. Blood glucose monitoring was performed in 15-minute intervals.
If blood glucose levels exceeded 5.5 mM/L at 2-, 4- and 6-hour checkpoints,
subcutaneous insulin supplements were allowed in individually determined doses.

 Dr. Baotic noted that 22 patients on a patch containing 840 IU of insulin
required an average of 1.82 IU of injected insulin to maintain metabolic control
compared with 2.17 IU of injected insulin for the 21 patients on a placebo patch

 On the other hand, a patch saturated with 187.5 IU of insulin did not allow
sufficient insulin to pass through the skin to significantly decrease the need
for injected drugs.

 Dr. Baotic stated that the 840 IU patch achieved effectiveness in lowering the
need for injected insulin about two hours after being placed on the inner side
of one upper arm. The patch then controlled diabetes for as long as it was left
in place.

 "There were no unexpected adverse events," Dr. Baotic said. "The patch appears
safe and well-tolerated." She added, however, that more work needs to be
accomplished before the transdermal insulin patch can be individualized for
patient use.

Rachel - email @ redacted

Do you Yahoo!?