Re: [IPp] Stubborn Lows & Viruses

In a message dated 8/24/2003 3:07:17 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:
Hi all. Cole is having some weird stuff happening lately... he has been sick
since we were in AZ on 8-9-03. Remember we made that ER trip in Salt Lake City
(American Fork experience)? They determined it was a virus but I'm not so
He has these bouts of vomitting that goes on & off as well as diarrehea (sp?).
Also, we are having these horrible lows (no explination at all how they
where after TWO juice boxes, 1-2 glucose tabs AND unhooking him from his pump,
he barely makes it over 90 (one time he was 44, 44 again after 15 minutes & a
juice box, 50 after 15 minutes & a juice box & then finally 95 after a glucose
tab with some crackers & cheese).

What's up with all this?? I'm beginning to think it's more than a virus...
cancer? Sounds stupid I know but nobody should be sick as long as that. Cole's
CDE says he wants to hook him up to CGMS, we've lowered ALL his basals... I
don't know what to do or what's wrong.

I'm really worried about him... Any thoughts?

Rachel - email @ redacted

Hi Rachel;

  Diarrhea will cause Cole's blood sugars to go low because this food is not
being absorbed properly. On a few occasions I've had to chase lows with
 Justin, and then sure enough by the next morning he starts having diarrhea. The
thing happened to us. Justin got a stomach virus with diarrhea, and no
 correction seemed to worked well enough. My Endo told me, when Justin is having
 diarrhea, and corrections are not working to bring him up, I should disconnect
pump, and check him every hour, then reconnect when blood sugars reach 150,
and cut basal, and bolases by half. Hope this help, and I hope Cole feels
better really soon.

Gina, Mom of Justin, 3 years old, Pumping.with Cozmo