[IPp] re: kids being different

snip: "My greatest fear is that they will make him feel different then the rest
of the kids."

One way to help your kid on this is to get the preschool teacher to help remind
the class that Every kid is different.  If you take the most "normal" kids in
the world, and put them into school, they will feel different many times.  The
most important thing for a 4 or 5 year old is making sure that he feels safe &
secure.  Our son's kindergarten & first grade teachers took the opportunity at
the beginning of school to have a couple of days to talk about ways that people
are the same & different.  Each child talked about something that made him or
her different.  My son had the teacher read "Taking Diabetes to School" to the
class, and then he got to show them his pump and talk about how it carries
medicine and no one should play with it.  He's now in 3rd grade at this school,
and everyone is wonderful & supportive with him.  Parents regularly call us
before birthday parties, etc. to ask if/what they can do to accomodate Luke
(which fortunately on the pump is nothing).  No one teases him about having

You can't keep your child from feeling different, but you can help him to feel

Best regards,

Do you Yahoo!?