Re: [IPp] bubbles

I was having the same problem with my daughters set.  It's was very
frustrating.  I was re-priming 2 times a day!  This is what was suggested
to me and it has helped enormously.  It's a bit more work....but well
worth it.

Mini-med suggested taking some air OUT OF the vial of insulin BEFORE you
fill the pump reservoir .  This is how its done.    Take the vial of
insulin.   Take  an empty syringe (or an empty pump
cartridge/reservoir).    Push the plunger DOWN (towards the floor).
Insert into the insulin vial.  Pull the plunger UP (towards the
ceiling).    Take the syringe out while the plunger is still pulled
UP.    Repeat this step.   With a syringe you have to repeat it quite a
few times.  If your using an empty pump reservoir it's only needed to be
done two or three times.  Then, go about filling the reservoir your
normal way.   If you did this correctly, you will feel the "pressure"
when filling the reservoir with the insulin.  I very rarely run into
large air bubbles anymore.   It's kind of confusing to put in writing so
any questions, e-mail me!!

>From: "Carla Logan" >Reply-To: email @ redacted
>To: >Subject: [IPp] bubbles >Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:38:13 -0500
(Central Daylight Time) > >Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your tax
deductible contributions. >Your donation of $10, $25, or more... just $1
or $2 per month is >needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve
you and the rest >of the diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >My son has been on the
animas pump for about 2 months now and all of sudden >we are having
problems with a succession of small/mid size bubbles in about >an inch of
the tubing a couple of times in a 24 hour period. Does anyone >have any
idea why this could be happening? I have spoken with Animas and >they
feel I am following the correct procedure for loading the cartridge and
>priming the pump. I also make sure to prime the pump whenever we
disconnect >for sports or bathtime. I am at a loss for why this is
happening all of a >sudden but the bubbles seem to make a difference for
us because my son is on >small dosages of insulin. > >And, if anyone
could help me understand why sometimes the priming of the >tubing, when
you change a site, takes so long...sometimes it takes forever for >the
insulin to start coming out. Is there a problem when this happens or is
>it normal? Thanks, Carla > > [demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type
image/gif which had a name of >IMSTP.gif] > > [demime 0.98e removed an
attachment of type Image/gif which had a name of