[IPp] celiac foods

The process of identifying gluten contaminated foods is difficult..
especially if you eat outside of your home. We have found that it is
tolerable inside the home but once we try to eat out, it becomes really
difficult. Like you said, the wheat, oats, barley, and rye (and spelt) are
no-no's and most salad dressings and spices/marinades are off limits too.
There are ones out there but you will be hard pressed to find them in
restaurants. Look out for fryers in fast food restaurants because if french
fries are dusted with wheat, or are cooked in the same oils as the breaded
chicken, etc...it will be contaminated. You will have to ask each individual
restaurant if they have a dedicated fryer just for their french fries and
other gluten-free foods.  I have found it is best to write to the various
restaurants on the internet and ask them for a list of their gluten free
foods.  Also, you will become handy at calling the 1-800 numbers on the pack
of packaging of foods from the grocery and asking them if their product
contains gluten.  They can most always give you an immediate answer.

Safe foods are meats, fish, poultry (all of these cannot be marinaded or
have any additives like HVP and such...which are added to some deli meats
and contain gluten), all fruits, veges, and most dairy.  Some celiacs have a
problem with diary but that is because their damaged villi does not have the
enzymes necessary to digest the milk proteins.  As the villi heal, the
enzymes will be back and can usually do their job.  So, dairy may be a
problem right now but not always.   There are alot of "junk" candies out
there that do not have gluten which is nice for your child because it helps
them to feel somewhat normal if they can eat a reese's peanut butter cup.

A couple of really good books to start with are by Danna Korn.  The first is
the best in my opinion, called "wheat free, worry free...the art of happy,
healthy, gluten-free living".  Her other book is called "kids with celiac
disease".  There are several cookbooks and websites where you can order
gluten-free snacks and bread mixes and cake mixes and these books give you
info on these.  If you have a local health food store like Whole Foods or
Central Market, they will have products as well.  Kroger also carries some
items in their organic section.

 I hope this helps somewhat. It is really hard to do this diet...as I said,
we've only just started ourselves for about a month now...but it is
do-able...just challenging. The only good thing is that my son feels much
better...and since your child isn't really having many symptoms, that might now
be a factor for her. The books are really good, since she is older, explaining
how important it is for her to follow the diet and what complications lie ahead
for her if she does not follow the diet. Although it is scary, it is necessary
for her to understand that; otherwise, she won't do it because it is so hard and
no fun! You can privately email me if you need email @ redacted if
you have more questions. I am happy to help you if I can...we can learn