[IPp] Re: novolog switch

In a message dated 19/08/2003 1:36:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> decided to switch to Novolog this April, just because it was the insulin
> "approved" for pumping and because so many others had been so pleased with
> it.  Boy, did our control and set life deteriorate as soon as we made the
> switch.  We were changing sets sometimes 4-5 times in a week, and the
> insulin in the pump seemed to lose potency from warm weather &/or warm
> water

Its great that we now have a choice of two rapid insulins to use in our kids
pumps.  But if things are working well, don't change anything, especially not
your insulin, just because someone else does things differently.

However, as regards warm weather, Novolog can take much higher temperatures
than Humalog.  This is tested verifiable results.  Novolog is stable to body
 temperature, 37 degrees C., or 98 F., while Humalog is only good to 85 F. or 30
C.   This is a big difference where we live, all summer it is above 30
 degrees. Claire wears her pump (with Novolog) right next to her body all year
and has never had a heat related problem.  However, after such an erratic time
with Humalog, I did start changing the cartridge once a week, rather than when
it ran out at 9 days, because of worries about heat.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9