[IPp] Re: novolog switch

YMMV--Your mileage may vary--never more true than in our experience with
the Novolog switch.  While most folks seem to have had great success with
switching from Humalog to Novolog, we had the opposite experience.  After
pumping with Humalog since April 2000 and having excellent BG response and
long-lived sets (a week sometimes, if we forgot the midweek change), we
decided to switch to Novolog this April, just because it was the insulin
"approved" for pumping and because so many others had been so pleased with
it.  Boy, did our control and set life deteriorate as soon as we made the
switch.  We were changing sets sometimes 4-5 times in a week, and the
insulin in the pump seemed to lose potency from warm weather &/or warm
water.  We gave it 3 months, saw Annie's a1c jump up to 7.8, and have now
changed back to Humalog.  After two weeks, things are leveling out.  A vial
of insulin now lasts until it's used up (at least a week) despite the even
warmer summer weather and hot showers.  And her sets last until we choose
to change them out.  So it's really a case of what works for you and your
pumper.  Now if we could just come up with a way to REMEMBER to bolus for
meals and snacks--pumping has made our life so nearly normal that we often
forget that necessary step!

Charlotte, pump mom to Annie, aged 9, dx'd at 3, pumping w/Disetronic at 5,
now w/Animas IR1000