[IPp] Re: insurance/FDA approval for Novolog

>>The only draw back is that our insurance does not recognize it as a
>>preferred drug and as a result it cost us quite a bit more out of
>>pocket . Has anyone had a similar experience with their insurance?<<

Actually, Novolog is the only insulin approved by the FDA for use
with the pump (unless Humalog has now been approved, too).  This
doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't use Humalog, it's basically the
same thing as Novolog and is a completely accepted insulin for pump
use.  But since the FDA has approved Novolog for pump use, you should
be able to get your insurance company to cover it.  Here are two
URL's to check out.  The first one is an interesting press release
about Will Cross, the Type 1 diabetic who did the 730 mile trek from
the Antarctic coast to the South Pole. Since it was released by Novo
Nordisk, it also promotes Novolog and its FDA approval, etc.

Noah used Humalog for two years before we tried Novolog.  I didn't
think I would notice any difference but we did.  Not right away.  It
took a week or so to see the full benefits which include:  being able
to get 3-4 days out of a set without seeing blood sugars escalate,
itchiness and redness at site gone, and just more overall stable
blood sugars.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99