Re: [IPp] Starting the pump

Have patience.   I was completely overwhelmed at first.   It was such a
change from shots.   I felt the same way about contacting the doctors.
But.....very soon afterwards I would contact the doctor.........hang
up.......and think......I don't like their suggestion.   I'm doing what I
think is best!!!

>From: "Rusty & Cassi Hannon" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: >Subject: Re: [IPp] Starting
the pump >Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:59:46 -0500 (Central Daylight Time) >
>Your donation of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2 per month is >needed
so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve you and the rest >of the
diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >Hi and thanks. Our first
week of the pump is behind us, and you're right. >It is so liberating.
Caitlin is able to eat when she wants without weighing >out the pros
(food) and cons (shots). She's able to play with her friends >and I don't
worry about unexplained lows nearly as much. We don't have >great control
yet, but it's getting there. Much better than even >Lantus/Humalog. >
>Funny, I felt just the opposite about camp vs. staying at friends'
houses. >She still hasn't been able to stay over at any friends, but I
felt better >about sending her to camp because of the medical staff. She
even knew a >couple of the people there (her CDE and ARNP, as well as her
pump sales >rep!). > >I'm just looking forward to knowing enough about
this pumping stuff to take >over a little more, without having to contact
the doctor every 48 hours for >corrections in her basals. > > > >Cassi ~
>Mom to Caitlin (9 - dx'd type 1 IDDM 4/25/03), Dio (almost 12) and Megan
>(18) > >Our Sweet Okie Kids is a place for parents of children with
diabetes in >Oklahoma to come for support. >
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/okie_parents/ >-------Original
Message------- > >From: email @ redacted >Date:
Thursday, August 07, 2003 08:54:41 AM >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Starting the pump
> >Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your tax deductible contributions.
>Your donation of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2 per month is >needed
so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve you and the rest >of the
diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >A note to Cassi and
Caitlyn on starting the pump: congrats! You will >love the freedom. The
pump does come with frustrations though, so just >keep in mind how
overwhelmed you were at first diagnosis, then became an >expert in
diabetes in no time - it will be the same for the pump. There >is a lot
to remember. We are having troubles with inconsistent blood >sugars that
are most likely insulin absorption issues, but have struggled >with
changing sites, switching insulins, switching infusion set types, >etc.
etc..... but despite that the pump still remains worthwhile. We >went to
an amusement park yesterday and it was so nice to not have to be >on an
eating schedule! > >I also want to agree with your comment on camp. My
daughter went to camp >this year for the first time and absolutely loved
it - she can't wait to >go back next year. I was thinking how odd it was
to send her - I worry >about her sleeping over night at a friend's house
that I know, and here >we were, sending her off for a week with
strangers! But she can't be >much safer than at diabetes camp with tons
of medical staff around. > >Good luck with your pump start! >