From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of
email @ redacted
Sent: August 12, 2003 1:37 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] Re: Just need to vent, somthing really sad happened

In a message dated 8/11/2003 6:05:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> check his B/S an hour
> and a half after his correct, he had dropped 100 points, but he was still
> high to eat. About 10 minutes later he walks up to me, and asked "mommy
> have some of that?" He points to all the food on the table. I replied "No
> baby
> you can't because." But before I could even finish what I was going to say
> him, his face intently changed to very sad,

       I would let my child eat in this situation.  I know its not the best
 thing for diabetes control, but psychological issues are extremely
important as
well.  Your son is still so young and he has a pump to improve things for
future.  When my Claire was that age, on injections, she ate when she was
high all the time, because we had no other option.  She went to extremely
high levels by dinner time every day and the doctors wouldn't help improve
 things. Sure I tried to have her wait a bit of time to get that injection
but it wasn't always possible.  If Justin is at a party you can bolus for
food immediately--he shouldn't go any higher than he already is, and his bgs
will continue to drop with the correction.  (do you still have insulin
from a correction after 90 minutes? we don't).
       You were both feeling so sad from this experience.  I bet your doctor
wouldn't tell you to withhold food in those circumstances.  It breaks my
 heart, too. Diabetes is for the rest of his life, but diabetes is easier to
with and treat, than serious mental health issues.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9