  Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 13:41:20 -0400
  From: "Sandra Winkworth" <email @ redacted>
  Subject: [IPp] Problem with Emla Cream

  My 9 year old daughter has been screaming terrilby with the insertion
  lately.  I started using the Emla Cream.  It does the job great as far as
  numbing, HOWEVER, this is causing another problem.  When I wipe and wash
  the cream off before insertion (and let it dry), the cream is making her
  skin too soft or moist.  When I do the insertion everything seems fine,
  however, the cannula is not inserting properly.  I can't tell that this
  has happened until her numbers are too high and remain high.  Then I
  remove the set and see the cannula was never inserted properly. What can
  help prevent this.  I DON'T want to stop using the Emla Cream.  However,
  this has happened to me the last 3 times I've used it.   Her numbers went
  high, she had ketones and I had to change her set with 2 hours (without
  the Emla cream). Would mastisol help???    Can you put down IV3000 BEFORE
  the insertion?  Does it help??   Can you use the Tegaderm to put down
  BEFORE insertion??  Any other ideas or suggestions I didn't mention??? I'm
  pretty much willing to try anything so as not to hear my daughters
  screams when I put the set in without the numbing cream!!   It seems to
  be getting worse! Thanks!