[IPp] Re: school policy

>>From: wieslaw maciorowski <email @ redacted>
In my school district another mother was told today that she could not
direct the insulin dosage for her child.<<

Hi Helen,

I, like Beverly, have it stated in our 504 that Noah, his dad, or I,
decide on the amount of insulin to be given...plus any other aspect
of his care.  The docs are there as back-up.  Noah is 15, though, and
can make those decisions.  Before Noah was old enough (age 10 until
about 13) to handle decisions on the amount of insulin he needed at
lunch time or to correct highs, I made a laminated index card for him
to refer to.  This worked very well for us.  There was an occasional
missed bolus, but nothing we haven't also done while at home. :}  I
would recommend the mother giving as much decision-making to her
child as possible, without causing undo stress.  You didn't say how
old the child is so this may not apply.  But a child who is at least
ten or so might be able to do some self-managing.  In needed, the
nurse/teachers could be back-up to this set up to act as reminders to
test/bolus and verify they were done.  We've found the more we can
eliminate the school's involvement, the better all around.  Less
stress, less hassle.

Since we parents do the managing and decision-making at all other
times in regards to insulin dosages, we should be the ones stated in
the 504 to do it while our kids are in school.  The doc can sign off
on that to make it official if the school requires that.  Your friend
should decide what is the best way to handle these decisions and then
have the 504 reflect this.

Does your friend belong to our list-serve?  She might find it useful
and a wonderful support source.  Just a thought.

Cindy, mom to 15 y/o Noah