Re: [IPp] Our 504 Meeting This Morning...

Dear Allison,

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!  And don't you dare feel guilty for something that HAS to
be included anyway!  I am so very proud of you!  I hope my meeting goes
as well tomorrow, although I am cautious.  My lawyer said "it will be an
interesting meeting".

(1)non diab.>From: "Allison Kane" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: "CWD" , "IPp" >Subject: [IPp]
Our 504 Meeting This Morning... >Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:56:28 -0600 >
>Insulin Pumpers is made possible by contributions from forum >members
and supporters in industry. Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or
$2.00 per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve
you and diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >went really, really well.
> >I was a little nervous because of the standardized testing issue.
Plus, when >we had the D education the Friday before school started the
principal and >the nurse wanted Tarek's IHCP incorporated into the 504
plan, and then a new >IHCP that was just a summary, so that it could be a
quick reference for all >the teachers. I was a little miffed about this
at first, but then I just >told myself that it didn't matter in what FORM
the accommodations were >written in, as long as they agreed to the
accommodations. > >So I spent all day Sunday rewriting Tarek's 504 plan
to incorporate the >details from his IHCP. It took a little work, because
his 504 plan last year >was written to reference the details in the IHCP.
> >Well anyway....I emailed the plans to the principal Sunday night with
a note >on the email that I had put the accommodations for standardized
testing back >in (they made me take it out last year) and that I had done
some research >that that the CSAP (Colorado's standardized test) could
not side step >federal law and the appropriate accommodations Tarek
needed during testing. >And that I would be called the DOJ, the DOEd OCR,
and the ADA to get more >information this week. > >When we got to the
meeting this morning, the issue never came up. We just >filled in some
names of people that had been and will be trained and >everyone signed.
It went too easily. > >Then as we were walking out the principal asked if
she could keep the disk >that I had brought the plans on so that they
could copy it to their >computers so they would have it on record and for
next year. I said that was >fine, and Daniel (DH) said, well don't you
have the emailed copies. And the >principal said, "You emailed me?" She
didn't get the email until last night, >and hadn't even read it. > >I
feel a little guilty that I didn't say anything at this point about the
>standardized testing accommodations. Daniel says that it's their problem
for >not reading before signing. Hell, I could have put ANYTHING in his
504. >Looking back, I almost wish I had added the glucagon in. If only I
had >known!!!! :) Oh well. > >So all in all it went well....except my
guilty feelings. > >-- >Allison >Mom to Tarek, age 10, IDDM, dx
11-16-1998 >Pumping DTron since 1-12-2001 >Novolog since 5-24-02 >Using
FreeStyle meter >Denver, Colorado