[IPp] Our 504 Meeting This Morning...

went really, really well.

I was a little nervous because of the standardized testing issue. Plus, when
we had the D education the Friday before school started the principal and
the nurse wanted Tarek's IHCP incorporated into the 504 plan, and then a new
IHCP that was just a summary, so that it could be a quick reference for all
the teachers. I was a little miffed about this at first, but then I just
told myself that it didn't matter in what FORM the accommodations were
written in, as long as they agreed to the accommodations.

So I spent all day Sunday rewriting Tarek's 504 plan to incorporate the
details from his IHCP. It took a little work, because his 504 plan last year
was written to reference the details in the IHCP.

Well anyway....I emailed the plans to the principal Sunday night with a note
on the email that I had put the accommodations for standardized testing back
in (they made me take it out last year) and that I had done some research
that that the CSAP (Colorado's standardized test) could not side step
federal law and the appropriate accommodations Tarek needed during testing.
And that I would be called the DOJ, the DOEd OCR, and the ADA to get more
information this week.

When we got to the meeting this morning, the issue never came up. We just
filled in some names of people that had been and will be trained and
everyone signed. It went too easily.

Then as we were walking out the principal asked if she could keep the disk
that I had brought the plans on so that they could copy it to their
computers so they would have it on record and for next year. I said that was
fine, and Daniel (DH) said, well don't you have the emailed copies. And the
principal said, "You emailed me?" She didn't get the email until last night,
and hadn't even read it.

I feel a little guilty that I didn't say anything at this point about the
standardized testing accommodations. Daniel says that it's their problem for
not reading before signing. Hell, I could have put ANYTHING in his 504.
Looking back, I almost wish I had added the glucagon in. If only I had
known!!!! :) Oh well.

So all in all it went well....except my guilty feelings.

Mom to Tarek, age 10, IDDM, dx 11-16-1998
Pumping DTron since 1-12-2001
Novolog since 5-24-02
Using FreeStyle meter
Denver, Colorado