Re: [IPp] From Mim (email @ redacted)

Dear Mim,

Don't ever feel guilty.  Life is a learning process, and I was pretty
intimidated at first when we started using the pump.  You learn from your
mistakes, and everything has worked out well.

We, too, use the paradigm. We use the 9mm Quickset, and so far, no major
problems, just little kinks here and there to figure out and we learn as
we go.  This group IS the best place to find the answers to your
questions.  Everyone has been there, done that.

Glad things are working out for you.

email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] From Mim
(email @ redacted) >Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:15:40 EDT > >Insulin
Pumpers is supported entirely by donations. Your contribution >of $1.00
or $2.00 per month is needed. Please make your pledge of $10 >or more per
year so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve YOU and >the diabetes
community. > > Please visit: http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> >Your annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail.
> >David, > >This is my first post and I hope I am doing this correctly.
Our son Jarrod is >18 and became a pump user only 3 weeks ago. I did some
research but not >nearly as much as we should have due to the fact that
my sons Dr. highly >recommended the Paradigm. He was diagnosed at 5 and
his pediatric >endocrinologist never recommended Jarrod use an insulin
pump as he did not >advocate pumps for children. We trusted him and
followed his advice. Jarrod >went to camp for kids with diabetes for 12
years and very few kids were >pumpers so my husband and I decided to drop
the issue. Recently my son >changed physicians (due to his age) and the
new guy immediately asked us why >wasn't Jarrod on a pump. Well, to make
a long story short we were all so >thrilled that we now had a physician
promoting the pump that we just didn't >investigate thoroughly. I know I
sound naive but believe me we have really >learned the hard way that we
must fight for our children. I feel guilty now >that we didn't butt heads
with the old physician concerning pumps and now >again I am feeling
guilty that we didn't research more. Jarrod was in the >hospital a week
after getting the pump because someone, I don't want to blame > >any one
individual, recommended the wrong infusion set to use for his body >type.
He was using the Quickset with the Quick Serta and it crimped inside >him
resulting in no insulin delivery for about 8 hrs during the night. The
>pump never told him no delivery as it was still pumping but into the
tube not >into his body. He >woke up with a high reading on his meter,
and became very ill resulting in a >trip to the ER for hydration. Yes, it
could have been prevented if he would >have tested at 3 in the morning
but he's a young adult now and you'll find >out how that goes...Sorry if
I am rambling on but I do need to vent on this >very important issue. I
called MM support that day and it took forever to get > >through to Tech
support. I am not thrilled with their Tech support. If it >wasn't for the
help of this board I wouldn't have known that you get better >results by
leaving a message rather than staying on hold. Everything ended up > >OK.
Jarrod is now using the Silhouette with the Sil Serta and absolutely
>loves his Paradigm. The pump itself so far is a dream, but we had no
idea >that the infusion set is of the up most importance. By the way, his
trainer >came over when we found out that he had the wrong infusion set
and inserted >it for him before we left for the hospital. She was truly
an angel. Overall >Jarrod is doing great now. He is still having a some
difficulty changing the >sites but that will come with experience. His bg
readings are the best they >have ever been and he is able to lead a more
normal life. I think its great >that you are getting your daughter on a
pump at such a young age. I wish we >would have done the same. Mini Med
makes a wonderful product but just make >sure about the infusion set you
use. Hope everything works out well for you >and your family. Mim >Mim,
mom to Jarrod, age 18, dx 9/89, ppMM Paradigm, 8/02