Re: [IPp] Standardized Testing ... Accommodations

Dear Allison,

With all the trouble I am having with my school, standardized testing is
not one of them.  By law, they have to give you extra time.  Demand it
and make them put it in your 504.

(1)non diab.>From: "Allison Kane" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: "CWD" , "IPp" >Subject: [IPp]
Standardized Testing ... Accommodations >Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:02:32
-0600 > >Insulin Pumpers is supported entirely by donations. Your
contribution >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed. Please make your
pledge of $10 >or more per year so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to
serve YOU and >the diabetes community. > > Please visit:
will eliminate this header from your IP mail. > >I am updating Tarek's
504 plan and one of the things that came up last year >was the issue of
accommodations during standardized testing. During the >second half of
the school year that is just about ALL they do here. > >We were told that
Tarek may of course do anything he needs to, to take care >of himself,
but that testing could NOT be postponed or retaken, or if he was >low and
it took him 15 minutes to be able to participate again, that they
>couldn't add that 15 minutes on for him. Basically if he missed anything
>there was no make up. > >On the one hand I could care less. I think the
level of dependence on >standardized testing that our public school
system has is ridiculous. But on >the other hand, those stupid test
affects Tarek's placement in school, the >level of class that they put
him in, his placement in the gifted program, >and especially this next
year, his ability to get into the gifted middle >school in our district.
> >Does anyone know if this is true...that he really cannot have extra
time or >retake portions if he missed them due to caring for his
diabetes. > >Thanks for any information you can provide. >-- >Allison