[IPp] Standardized Testing ... Accommodations

I am updating Tarek's 504 plan and one of the things that came up last year
was the issue of accommodations during standardized testing. During the
second half of the school year that is just about ALL they do here.

We were told that Tarek may of course do anything he needs to, to take care
of himself, but that testing could NOT be postponed or retaken, or if he was
low and it took him 15 minutes to be able to participate again, that they
couldn't add that 15 minutes on for him. Basically if he missed anything
there was no make up.

On the one hand I could care less. I think the level of dependence on
standardized testing that our public school system has is ridiculous. But on
the other hand, those stupid test affects Tarek's placement in school, the
level of class that they put him in, his placement in the gifted program,
and especially this next year, his ability to get into the gifted middle
school in our district.

Does anyone know if this is true...that he really cannot have extra time or
retake portions if he missed them due to caring for his diabetes.

Mom to Tarek, age 10, IDDM, dx 11-16-1998
Pumping DTron since 1-12-2001
Novolog since 5-24-02
Using FreeStyle meter
Denver, Colorado