Re: [IPp] Elisa Handel book (long)

Insulin Pumpers is supported entirely through donations. Your contribution
of $1 or $2 per month is needed. Please make your pledge of $10 or more per
year so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve YOU and the diabetes
community.     Visit: http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml

Dear Allison,

Thanks for your 2 cents (it's worth more than that, you know!)

(1)non diab.>From: "Allison Leake" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Elisa Handel book
(long) >Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:45:02 -0500 > >Insulin Pumpers is
supported entirely through donations. Your >contribution >of $1 or $2 per
month is needed. Please make your pledge of $10 or >more per >year so
that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve YOU and the >diabetes
>community. Visit: http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >In case
anyone is curious about this book... > >The book, *A Child in Your Care
has Diabetes*, by Elisa Hendel (we >own a copy) does have some very good,
simple forms to fill in with >your own info, for school, etc. After
pump-start, we used it at >(non-d) daycamp this summer, and the director
thought it was very >helpful; also used A LOT of it for our school
meeting (private >school, no 504). Teacher thought it was good, helpful,
easy to >understand -- some sheets are well-formatted for a substitute
>teacher to get a decent grip. The author encourages you not to >write in
the book, but to copy the pages as you need them and fill >them in. >
>From the Table of Contents of the book (there's a foreword, etc),
>several different sections: >*CHARTS, LOGS, CHECKLISTS, 504* >Important
Phone Numbers >Staff Meeting Checklist >Supply Letter >Parent
Responsibilities >General Info >Testing Results & Instructions >Blood
Glucose Results >Class Parties >Field Trip List >Extracurricular
Checklist >Insulin Pump Info (*very* basic explanation of what it
is/does, also >a similar sheet to Testing Results & Instructions, above)
>504 Accomodations >*PERSONAL CHARTS & CHECKLISTS* >Important Phone
Numbers >Daily Info >Sleepover Checklist >Travel Letter >Trip Essentials
>*THE ABC's OF DIABETES* >Diabetes Defined >Monitoring Blood Glucose
>Equipment >Hypoglycemia >Hyperglycemia >Snacks & Meals >The Law >Insulin
>How to Administer Glucagon >*WEBSITES* >*ORGANIZATIONS* >*PUBLICATIONS*
>*GLOSSARY* > >I am very glad that I have this book, since I have been
told that I >"overwhelm" people with info. :) These basic sheets help me
get >the info down, more simply put. I feel that the pages are very
>user-friendly and that these sheets are easy to understand, easy to
>refer back to, and are unintimidating. Some of the sheets (e.g.
>hypo/hyperglycemia, trip essentials, supply letter, etc.) deviate
>slightly from what we use/do (treating lows under 70; we start at >80),
but they are a great starting point, in those cases. > >We have no
regrets about buying this book! Just my 2-cents here... > >-- Allison