[IPp] First week of school & @#$#$#@^%#@ Nurses!

I feel for you and know that some people (the school nurse) just like to
be miserable, uptight, awful people to  deal with.  These kind of people
do not belong in the schools working with parents and children!  We are
lucky to have a very cooperative staff.

My daughter is 9 years old and has been pumping for 20 months or so.  She
figured her correct boluses, carb to food ratio boluses, ect. right from
the start at age 6. I went to the work of training her teacher, making a
chart for the sliding scale and food boluses, ect. but Amelia took on
that by herself because she felt "cool and independent".  Her teacher was
worried because she did everything on her own and with the workload of
the teacher she wasn't always able to check her calculations.  (We have a
school nurse covering 6 schools and she is rarely seen).  I told her
teacher to let her assume responsibility as the main reason for us
getting the pump was for her to have more control of her life as she
refused to give shots and I work and spent so many days running back and
forth to administer shots.  Her teacher and I agreed that the pump
polished her math skills!  The school has always been great about letting
her call me for assistance a! nd I carry a cell phone so I can always be

Is Zach able to do this on his own?  We have counted carbs outloud as a
family from the beginning and Amelia is quite good at looking at food and
estimating carbs. She isn't always exact but it is a trial and error type
thing, especially with school lunch.  And with the pump, a correction is
easy.  Seems that school lunch basically serves the same food items over
and over so once you figure it out, it gets easier! We would look at the
menu, count carbs and send a note in her tester as to how much to bolus.
Well, the school would change the menu and Amelia would call me to count
again.  Not this year, she either takes a lunch with a "carb note" or she
will count her own carbs.  I want her to be as independent as possible
because I firmly believe that if she learns it at an early age, it will
become a way of life for her and she will grow up taking care of herself
although I am always there for her if she needs me.

Every child is different but  Amelia would not be happy if she had a
nurse hoovering over her and someone following her through the lunch
line.  I think she is better about taking care of herself when I am not
around because I am not there reminding her to test, bolus, etc.  She
takes it on by herself.

Just my thoughts!  Continue to fight for your/Zach's rights and be

Cheri McCurdy, Mom to Amelia, 9, D 1/00 P 12/00