Re: [IPp] Question about weight gain

Dear Nova,

My daughter, Jessica was diagnosed with diabetes in January.  She went
from 64 pounds (very thin for her height) to 86 pounds in 6 months.  She
went on the pump in June.  She is now 96 pounds.  My mother in law (or
out law as I like to call her) used to make comments about how BIG she
was getting, and Jessy would just sob.  I freaked on her, and so did my
husband and she finally laid off, somewhat.  (She lived with us, so it
was very hard to just stay away from her, my husband has since sent her
to live with his sister in N.C. because the "BIG" thing was just the tip
of the iceberg)

Your child has diabetes.  He has put on weight.  NO ONE, especially
family, should make ANY comments at all about it.  All that will do is
make your son depressed, and eat more.  Just be supportive.  Get him
involved in a sport. (Jessy has recently started cheerleading and they
practice twice a week, and she will be taking Jazz in September)

Talk to your endo, but most of the time, it is just a matter of getting
more excersize.  Less goodies (that is Jessy's biggest problem now that
she is on the pump) and just keep reassuring your son that he looks
great, and encourage activities.  Let me know what your endo has to say.

(1)non diab.>From: "Nova L" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: >Subject: Re: [IPp] Question
about weight gain >Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:23:19 -0500 > >Hello! I am a
parent of a 9 yr old pumper. My son Travis uses the Mini Med >Paradigm
and has had it since last April (I think). He was dx'd a week after >his
1st birthday with Type 1 Diabetes. > >My question is......Have any of you
noticed that your child has gained weight >since being on the pump??
Travis has gained noticibly. And it is starting to >really bother him. We
have had some *very* rude family members comment about >this to him. I
was just wondering if it was common. > >I know alot of it has to do with
him retaining water. For about the past 3 >months he has been really
puffy and all over his body it looks swollen. We go >to see our Endo on
the 29th so I am going to ask him about this. > >Thank you! > >~NovaGet
more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : >http://explorer.msn.com