Re: [IPp] Questions about 504

Dear Cheri,

Kudos to your daughter's teacher.  Can I see a Walt Disney teacher of the
year award headed her way?  (we tried to nominate Jessy's teacher last
year, but she never got a chance to fill out the forms they sent to her,
she was just touched by the letter I wrote and sent to all the big wigs
at the school anyway)

I don't know whether the glucagon ever really does expire, I am assuming
it does or they would not put an experation date on it.  I wouldn't want
to be caught in a situation where it didn't work because I thought it did
not expire.

(1)non diab.>From: "Cheri McCurdy" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Questions about
504 >Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:57:12 +0000 > >Cindy, > >Thanks so much
for your input. I wanted to update the group on my >progress regarding
Amelia's 504. Let me first say that I am filing >Amelia's 504 for the
next school year before school get's out this school >year as she goes to
a different school with a whole new staff to >train....fun, fun. I have
learned to start early from this experience. >So, I met with Amelia's
teacher Monday at 4:00 p.m. She is very >supportive. Her daughter's
friend has diabetes and the teacher actually >learned to care for this
friend so she could spend time with them! She >gave shots, helped her
test, ect. which is a definate advantage for my >daughter, Amelia. I
asked her if she would be intimidated to give a shot >of glucagon, if
needed and she said no. I presented her with the 504 >plan and she was
thrilled to see that it was organized, detailed, and >signed by her
doctor. She agreed to have all teacher's and staff that >will be involved
with A! melia during the school year read and sign off >on the plan. The
meeting went very well. Next, I went to the Principal, >Mrs. Gagon, and
visited with her about the 504....again very supportive. >I asked her
about the glucagon and she said that she thought all we >needed was a
presciption medication form be on file that was signed by >her doc and
for me to give instruction to several people on how to use >it. Great! I
have never used it as Amelia has never had a severe, >unconcious low, but
I think it is easy enough to show them how to use it >none the less! The
nurse that covers Amelia's school also covers 5 other >schools in our
area so Amelia may never see this nurse. I am thankful >that her teacher
has been so helpful! It isn't exactly how I would like >to see things
done but it will suffice! Thanks, Cindy, for your help and >support. I
will follow your progress closely and keep my fingers >crossed! > >By the
way, I know their is an expiration date on the glucagon but does >it
really ever expire? > >Cheri, Mom to Amelia, 9, D 1/00, P 12/00 and
Amanda, 15 years! > >Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:34:39 -0400 >From: "Cindy
Lattimer" >Subject: Re: [IPp] questions about 504 > >Dear Cheri, > >It is
my understanding that there is a 504 advocate (in our case, it is >the
principal) who is responsible for writing up the 504 plan, getting >the
parties together and the meeting set up. Call the principal, find >out
who is really in charge there, don't take a secretaries word for it,
>they don't know. I am finding out slowly but surely, that a 504 needs to
>be requested in writing, and they have 30 days to respond to it. Even
>though we have talking about setting up the 504 process since before the
>end of t! he school year last year, I am meeting problems with our
>school, >because I didn't put it in writing (a lesson for all of
us....don't just >speak to these people, put all corospondence in
writing) I am sorry that >it is so late for you. Maybe you will luck out
once you actually talk to >the principal, and he/she will be decent and
understanding enough to >accomodate you. > >At our school, the only one
permitted to use the glucagon is the nurse, >that is how it was last
year, however this year I am going to try to >change that now that I have
the power of a lawyer standing behind me. I >want her teacher, gym
teacher, principal, and of course, the nurse to all >be trained. I know
that I will rest a hell of a lot easier when Jessy is >at school knowing
that all these people are trained to protect her. I >even want the
stupidintendent (oops, I meant superintendent) to be >trained just for
G.P. (I know, I know, I am really! pushing it now, but >my >feelings have
been dragged through the mud, and I need to get some >revenge from this
a*#hole, and I figure the best way to do it is to >educate the ignorant
jerk!) > >I wish you the very best of luck. Please contact me if you need
to for >support. My heart goes out to you. > >Cindy, pump mom to Jessy
(8) dx 1/02, Julie (3)non diab. and Trevor >(1)non diab.>From: "Cheri
McCurdy" >Reply-To: >