Re: [IPp] re: Nurse's appreciation (was School problems)

Dear Jeanne,

Great idea!  If it does get into the paper, can you please forward it to
me?  I love hearing good things, and when you are in a bad situation with
the school, it is good stories like the one you just told me about that
are what make the difference.

(1)non diab.>From: "Jeanne Stahlman" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: >Subject: Re: [IPp] re:
Nurse's appreciation (was School problems) >Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002
10:30:47 -0400 > >I love the Nurse's appreciation idea!!! It also just
gave me another >brainstorm. We are blessed with a very accomodating
school, one that had me >"sign a PARENT'S permission form to allow her to
test in the classroom"(In >other words, it was the parent's decision).
Our nurse is fantastic, too, >and has taken it upon herself to go to
classes, etc., to learn more about >this disease. > So my idea is, with
our walk coming up, I'm going to call the city paper >and see if they
will do a write up on how successful our school is with >caring for kids
with D. I figure when other schools and nurses read the >article, maybe
it will have a snowball effect and they will take our >school's lead. >
I'll let you know if I have any success. I can't even imagine not >having
support at school, and anything I can do to help, I will. >----- Original
Message ----- >From: "Shelly Van Dyke" >To: "POP List" >Sent: Saturday,
August 17, 2002 8:49 PM >Subject: [IPp] re: Nurse's appreciation (was
School problems) > > > > Renee wrote: > > <<<< One of the things I did in
the Phila chapter of JDRF was to initiate >a > > Nurses Appreciation
certificate which my hubby & I (non-creative types!) >made > > up on the
computer, literally cutting & pasting the JDRF logo from >envelopes > >
onto the certificate! LOL..It had the child's name, school name, nurse's
>name > > & 3 or 4 key specifics of how she had helped the child, such as
>maintaining > > contact with the parent, attending support groups on her
own time, >changing > > the child's lunch schedule to meet his needs,
interacting personally with > > each teacher, advocating for the child's
best interest etc.>>>>>> > > > > Renee - what a great idea!!! Thanks so
much for sharing that! I'm >definitely > > going to approach our local
JDRF chapter about that idea. > > Shelly V, Luke's mom > > > > > >