Re: [IPp] re: Nurse's appreciation (was School problems)

In a message dated 8/21/02 10:46:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> .
>     So my idea is, with our walk coming up, I'm going to call the city
> paper
> and see if they will do a write up on how successful our school is with
> caring for kids with D.  I figure when other schools and nurses read the
> article, maybe it will have a snowball effect and they will take our
> school's lead.

EXCELLENT idea!!.....we've done a family team for the JDRF WALK for the past
10 years & on several occasions, we did get a local paper to do feature
stories on families advocating for diabetes research, etc... <A HREF="http://www.jdrf.org/living_w_diabetes/diabetes_stories/family_home.php">Family Portraits</A>
is the link at www.jdrf.org to a 7 part series that ran in our local paper
almost 2 yrs ago (even thought it says last fall!) The writer talked about
various aspects of life with diabetes: emotional, social, etc...and in the
final installment revealed why she was so motivated to write the series:
because her own son has diabetes! She won a Pennsylvania newspaper contest
award for it too!!!....
    as I've learned from JDRF, if you don't ASK, you can't get a YES....so
contact those editors...this is a wonderful "human interest" story of a schoo
l doing MORE than "just" meeting its students' educational needs...
Renee (Melissa's pump mom)