Re: [IPp] First week of school & @#$#$#@^%#@ Nurses!

Dear Barbara,

God bless you and your son.  Stress always makes Jessy's sugars go up
too.  In our case, I have chosen not to tell her that there is trouble
with her testing in the classroom.  So far, our metting is set up for the
28th (she doesn't start school until 9/4).  That seems to be the only day
that we can nail down both lawyers at the same time.

Honestly, Barbara, to save yourself this stress, try to find a public
interest law firm in your area, look in the yellow pages.  Beg for
assistance.  The last thing the school didtrict wants is a lawsuit
(especially since it has been proven time and time again that they won't
win if it goes to court, if anything, you'll get some peice of mind not
having to stress about the details.)

My heart really goes out to you and your son.  I am right there with you
right now, only I am not fighting it alone this year.  And by the way, if
your endo says he is capable of testing his sugars in the classroom, and
that he should be doing it there, legally, they don't have a leg to stand
on.  Good luck, and keep in touch to let us know how things are going.  I
know it is a very stressful time for you and your son.  Take a deep
breath, count, whatever it takes.  If you relax, he may too.  I know just
how you feel, and it is so damned sad that any parent or child with a
disability should be forced to go to these extremes.  Having diabetes is
hard enough as it is, it shouldn't have to be harder.

email @ redacted >To: email @ redacted,
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] First week of
school & @#$#$#@^%#@ Nurses! >Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 03:34:26 EDT >
>Well, after last Friday's semi-fiasco IEP meeting, I came home and
>re-did the Health Care Plan and faxed it to my Endo after talking to her
>that evening. I told my son to plan on things going on Monday the >way
that we had requested them, regardless of the nurse. > >We packed up his
extra meter, a juice box, some Airheads, etc. in >the small pocket of his
backpack. I told him to carry it regardless of >what had happened and to
test in the classrooms. Also to call me if >ANYTHING happened. > >Monday
AM, school started at 7:25 and his blood sugars had been surprisingly
>good at 6:15 even though he'd still been awake at 12:30 being upset. >At
8:30 the hospital faxed me the signed Health Care Plan I'd completed. >I
faxed it to the school. Unfortunately, at 9AM I was paged by my son >with
blood sugars of 339. Then the nurse called and complained she didn't
>have dr. orders. While she was fussing, Zach walked in and she said
>she'd call back. He apparently was so sleep deprived/nervous/anxious
>that he couldn't remember if he should do a correction bolus or wait. >
>As I'm repeatedly requesting that she please shut up and put him on the
>phone, >she instead hands the phone to the 7th grade principal who
conviently had >just walked down the hallway. She then proceeds to tell
me that he's >obviously not prepared for self-care in the classroom,
didn't know what to >do, >and had forgotten to test at 8:30 instead of 9
(big deal!!!) and will need >to do >all blood sugar readings in the
nurses office for a few months. I explained >that he was sleep-deprived
and upset over the meeting we'd had and not >knowing what would happen to
him when he attempted to test in classes >or carry his backpack, and was
bound to be a little unsure of himself >that day. She tried to tell me
we'd been advised late Friday that they'd >gotten the approval from the
District to allow him to test in the classrooms >and >that it was written
in a District Policy provision. All we'd been told late >Friday >was that
it was our responsibility to get Dr. orders since our ENDO was >obviously
ignoring the nurses pages and voice mails. > >So I agreed to have him
come to the Nurse at 3 set times each day for two >weeks only to set a
pattern of what time he should be testing each day >under normal
conditions. (I told him to tests for any lows in the classes.) > >He
stayed in the low 300's all day on Monday. Nurses messed up helping him
>calculate his lunchtime correction and bolus. He did the calculations
>correctly, but she then added up both answers and told him to punch that
>in as one normal bolus. My verbal orders to them that AM had said to do
>separate correction bolus, so I could identify it later from the pump
for >logging, >and then to do a Dual Wave bolus for lunch when eating
pizza. > >Today, he was 84 at home, but then 284 two hours later, and
spent the day >between 214 and 275. They did the correction right, the
bolus right, but >then called to complain that he shouldn't have done a
correction unless >he was over 250 (their plan they wrote last year). She
wanted NEW >Dr. orders if he was to do corrections at a lower number. So
once again, >I got out the last version of the Health Care Plan, wrote in
that he could >start corrections at 150, plus that he could do a
correction 1 to 1 1/2 >hours >before lunch if he tested high to get
things back under control before >starting the lunch period (He eats at
6:20AM and lunch isn't till 12:30). > >Called Dr.'s office again and told
CDE I was refaxing it to her with these >additions. Will be getting them
back in the AM to refax to school. > >In the meantime, I contacted the
Districts' Disability person to find out >if I could get a copy of the
policy on Diabetes as well as the date it went >into affect. Guess
what???????? There is no policy. They are >allowing it for him since
precedent has been set by the other school in >the District. They felt it
sorta fell under the catagory of the policy for >"Self=Administered
Meds". Now there is a 4 page document as an >ammendment to that policy
that deals strictly with Asthma, but nothing >for Diabetes. She claims
they can't have one for each illness. Like >Diabetes isn''t as important
or life threatening as Asthma. > >So..................I'd offered to send
them LOTS of info on why they need >a policy, on why they need to inform
ALL their district nurses about IDDM >rights, and on how I've already
spread the word on a local Special Education >lists about the problems
we're having with the district on this and now >the best Advocates in the
metro area KNOW that a precedent has been >set in our school district.
Gee, now don't you think we need a policy??? > >Anyway, sorry so long.
Needed to vent, etc. Hopefully he will slowly >start destressing and
getting his daytime numbers back in control. >Would hate to think they
are causing another visit to the Diabetes >Psychologist who'm we'd done
fine wihtout until they messed him up >last year. > >OH, and then tonight
while swimming to releive tension, his port got >crimped, late dinner
blood sugars were high, did correction and meal >bolus, by 11PM he was
over 500 and throwing up! GGGRRRRRR. >Did a site change, insulin, and are
watching it go down again. > >Sincerely, > >Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump
Mama to Zachary (12), Dx 2/93, 508 2/02. >Jennifer (20), Allison (17),
Rachel (6) >Fenton, MO >email @ redacted >Independent Kitchen Consultant
for The Pampered Chef.