Re: [IPp] questions about 504

Dear Cheri,

It is my understanding that there is a 504 advocate (in our case, it is
the principal) who is responsible for writing up the 504 plan, getting
the parties together and the meeting set up.  Call the principal, find
out who is really in charge there, don't take a secretaries word for it,
they don't know.  I am finding out slowly but surely, that a 504 needs to
be requested in writing, and they have 30 days to respond to it.  Even
though we have talking about setting up the 504 process since before the
end of the school year last year, I am meeting problems with our school,
because I didn't put it in writing (a lesson for all of us....don't just
speak to these people, put all corospondence in writing)  I am sorry that
it is so late for you.  Maybe you will luck out once you actually talk to
the principal, and he/she will be decent and understanding enough to
accomodate you.

At our school, the only one permitted to use the glucagon is the nurse,
that is how it was last year, however this year I am going to try to
change that now that I have the power of a lawyer standing behind me.  I
want her teacher, gym teacher, principal, and of course, the nurse to all
be trained.  I know that I will rest a hell of a lot easier when Jessy is
at school knowing that all these people are trained to protect her.  I
even want the stupidintendent (oops, I meant superintendent) to be
trained just for G.P. (I know, I know, I am really pushing it now, but my
feelings have been dragged through the mud, and I need to get some
revenge from this a*#hole, and I figure the best way to do it is to
educate the ignorant jerk!)

I wish you the very best of luck.  Please contact me if you need to for
support.  My heart goes out to you.

(1)non diab.>From: "Cheri McCurdy" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] questions about
504 >Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:09:59 +0000 > >I am trying to get Amelia's
504 in place and am getting frustrated. Our >school district has one
nurse to cover 4 schools so I haven't heard from >her. It is Monday and
school starts Wednesday. I thought I would go to >the principal of
Amelia's school who has always been very helpful to >arrange a meeting
for the 504 that I typed up and had Amelia's doctor >sign. Now after
talking with the secretary of the school, I am being >told that it is the
teacher's responsibility to fill out the 504 and get >the necessary
people involved. Teacher's have so much to do, is it >really thier
responsibility? How can they start a 504 plan with minimal >knowlege of
diabetes, or maybe they just hand us a form and tell us to >fill in the
blanks. I am not willing to send Amelia to school without >atleast
visiting with the teacher first.I think it would be convenient >for all
for the parents of the diabetics to attend a! staff meeting and >cover
what is needed to protect their kids?! I tried to get in touch >with the
teacher at registration but was told to talk to her at >back-to-school
night which is tomorrow night. There will be many parents >there, not to
the time to talk 504 and diabetes. Also would like to know >how many
school without full time nurses are willing to administer >glucagon. I
covered this in Amelia's 504--that it would be >administered. Will see
what they say. The school has always been >helpful but I just get the
feeling that they think diabetes is just not >that big of a deal and that
I am worried about nothing. Thanks for >letting me complain and vent my
frustrations! Cheri, Mom to Amelia, Age >9, D 1-19-00, Pumping 12-13-00
and Amanda, 15 >