Re: [IPp] IEP Update

Dear Barbara,

Oh honey, I know just what you are feeling right now.  That panicked
desperation.  Look in your phone book, get on line, find a public
interest law firm in your area (I wish you lived in the Philadelphia, New
Jersey area) Call them first thing Monday morning.  Tell them you need a
petition for emergency relief (that is what we are getting for Jessy
until our school is done playing the games)  This petition for emergency
relief will allow him to test in the classroom until they have been made
"wise".  Look up bloodborn Pathogens Standard, so that you can go in to
the next meeting.  You may have to bend a little with the type of lancets
you use or where you had planned on keeping the sharps in.  Get a written
letter from the other person you where talking about who has a child who
tests in the classroom.  Have them write how they do it.  Go in there
Monday morning armed with this information.  I am just so sorry
Barbara.&nbs! p; I hope that what I have told you will help you.  Another
thing that you can try is getting in touch with the county
superintendent.  I had to do that last year.  Good luck.  Keep in touch
with me on this, and if I find anything else that may be useful to you, I
will send it your way.

email @ redacted >To: email @ redacted,
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] IEP Update >Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 04:53:11 EDT > >Well we had our Re-Entry IEP meeting
with the school on Friday AM. >We went in with a list of things we wanted
changed. > >Met all Zachary's new 7th grade teachers, new Resource
teacher, etc. >They all seem to be willing to cooperate with what's
already in the IEP >and with our new changes. > >HOWEVER, the two nurses
"blew a gasket" when they found out we >wanted to do all blood sugar
testing in his classrooms. They refused >saying it was against District
Policy, it was unhealthy, unsafe for him, >and against OSHA rules. >
>Keep in mind that this is a really big District. It has 4 High Schools,
>7 middle schools, and 28 grade schools. > >We got a tip from JDF that
their was a parent at the other end of the >District >who has a pumping
child. I spoke to her the night before the meeting. >It was nice to be
able to inform the nurse that she was wrong and that it >WAS being done
in the Disctrict. > >UNFORTUNATELY, nothing got settled. They (nursing
staff) refused >to accept the new Health Care Plan (we used the 1/2002
ADA one). They >wanted to contact our ENDO by phone, as well as the
District offices. > >We told them they were violating his education
rights, but they don't care. >She told me he'd be testing in her office
on Monday as well as telling me >that >I would be coming in to do his
lunchtime bolus since the Dr. orders are from >last year and out of
date!!! > >Contacted DREDF and they said St Louis is out of their area. >
>Freaking out!!!!!!!!!!! > >Sincerely, > >Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama
to Zachary (12), Dx 2/93, 508 2/02. >Jennifer (20), Allison (17), Rachel
(6) >Fenton, MO >email @ redacted >Independent Kitchen Consultant for
The Pampered Chef.