Re: [IPp] Our school experience - good (sorry so long)

Dear Shelly,

Thank you so very ,very much!  It would be so helpful if the school would
be able to share the politics on the reasons they are so eager to help,
however, they may not want to.  Please don't apologies for the length.
It was very detailed, and that is what I need.  I am so very jealous.  I
know that you know how lucky you are.

Thank you again for helping me and my daughter.  I am certain that
letters like this will help make the task at hand a lot easier.

(1)non diab.>From: Shelly Van Dyke >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: POP List >Subject: [IPp] Our
school experience - good (sorry so long) >Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:21:21
-0700 (PDT) > ><<>with your school?>>>> > >Well, first of all, our school
has had 4 children with diabetes >for the past couple of years - one just
moved up this year to middle school. >Out of 450 kids, they become a very
noticeable part of the population. So with >4 sets of parents requesting
help, we've all gotten it. Luke was the first >pumper, and I have spent
hours at the school going over the pump details, >initially w/ the nurse
(thankfully she's been a constant for 3 years now) and >each teacher Luke
is in contact with, as well as the office staff, one of whom >is married
to a man w/ Type 2 diabetes. We have a part-time nurse RN & >nurse's
aides LVN - every day either the RN or the LVN is there at lunch. The
>secretary married to a Type 2 got trained on glucagon, so we have all
day >coverage for glucagon. We did request this coverage but she was more
than >willing to do it - she watches closely over these kids and worries
a lot about >any of them passing out because they had this happen with
one child on >injections about 7 years ago. This way we don't have to get
each teacher >certified each year - just her & the RN. > >Also, we have
not had Luke testing in classroom yet because he needs help >interpreting
his numbers & we'd rather it be w/ the RN/LVN or office staff who >have
time to page us if he's high or low. Our experience is that the teacher
>just really does not have time for this plus the other 20 kids in her
class >wanting lunch. My husband & I both wear pagers & carry cell
phones, and we >respond immediately if they have page us. These folks
then confirm Luke's >bolus amount for lunch, but he does the
button-punching on his pump. If he's >in class & has a snack, we send the
carb count & bolus amount to the teacher. >We don't ask them to calculate
boluses only because we don't really trust >anyone - this way if the
bolus is incorrect, it's our mistake, not theirs. >My husband does pick
up the kids every day from school, too, so they see him >when there are
problems - and when there are not problems. I think this aspect >helps us
more than anything - it makes us approachable. > >But the older kids do
test in classroom if their parents request it, as well as >all of the std
504 requests for access to water, bathroom, testing provisions, >etc. At
some point during the day, they do need to get their #'s & bolus >amounts
to the nurse to record. We plan to request classroom testing next >year
when Luke is more independent about it. It's only been in the past year
>that he could tell the difference between a number of 55 and 255. > >I
don't know why it works so well. We've really benefited from the presence
of >older kids with diabetes and haven't had to fight. We did help them
become >comfortable with the pump first but everything else they were
doing before us. > >We do feel really good about the working relationship
with the school - from >the principal on down, the attitude is take care
of the kids, then worry about >the academics. So while our school scores
well on standardized tests, our >principal emphasizes that kids need to
be cared for and learning rather than >worrying about test scores. We
think that helps set the tone for everyone. >The school has also held a
Diabetes Walk (through ADA) the past 2 years, which >has helped to raise
the level of awareness throughout all the staff. Our >family helps
promote this because we've benefitted so much from the previous >families
that we want to help maintain the openness at this school. > >Because of
all of this, we've even had our nurse go back and argue with the
>district over some of their paperwork requirements (they want a dr's
signature >for every bolus, stupid stuff like that). Anyway, I'll ask if
they would mind >discussing their policies & will let you know. Of
course, I'm anxious to find >out if the child entering middle school is
doing okay - I'm dreading it already >with all of the class changes, etc.
but it's a few years off. >Thanks, >Shelly V, Austin, TX, mom to Luke,
dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 - entering 2nd >grade on Monday! >